Re: Move to GROUPS.IO vs Yahoo Groups

Randy True

RRR

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Charles Odom ki4vmk@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 3:03 PM
To: PODXS
Cc: PODXS Contest
Subject: Re: [070] Move to GROUPS.IO vs Yahoo Groups

Go for it

KI4VMK
# 2542  🇺🇸
On Dec 1, 2017, at 1:59 PM, "Matthew King - KK4CPS mrk.twg@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

OK - it's official... YAHOO GROUPS SUCKS! It continues to fail us (and MANY others!) time and time again.

I want to move both of our groups to GROUPS.IO. I'm looking for anybody with firsthand knowledge of why that would be a bad idea, if there is anybody out there with such knowledge. In all the research I've done, it seems like a positive thing, and basically like a no-brainer to move there.  Here's why:

- No special log-in required, i.e. a Yahoo Group ID/account. It's just your email address, not a whole different entity.
- The groups will transition over to groups.io lock, stock, and barrel, with all information and settings intact.
- Message posting time is in the seconds, not many minutes/hours/days/weeks category that Yahoo seems to operate in here of late.
- We should be able to integrate our Facebook page (did y'all know we have one?), Google Drive, and email.
- NO ADS! NO TRACKING!
- Excellent message threading/searching
- We'd still have a calendar, polls, a database, a photo section, a file section, and we can add a WIKI. That'd be a great home for a FAQ type of arrangement, and for more information on our contests and such.

In my mind, unless there's an overwhelming level of negative responses to this email with concrete "bad stuff" about groups.io, we'll be moving there soon, just everyone knows the "mindset of the executive director" on this issue.

Please, I'm looking for feedback from anybody, anywhere.

73, y'all!

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director