Re: From an old PODXS member ...

Jerry N9AVY

Reminds me of the old 10-10 QSO Parties where people would stop in the middle of things to ragchew.  Who cares if we won, we had fun !

jerry  n9avy

From: "Tom Singleton tsingle@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: [070] From an old PODXS member ...

I generally try to work a bit outside the macros, especially if it is a fellow 070 club member.  But yes the general rule is that you are courteous of the other ham's time and respond according.

Heck, I may even sometimes slip in a short comment in an 070 contest exchange with a fellow member!

73,

Tom
K8TOM
815

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom it is intended, please delete it, notify us immediately, and do not disclose, copy, or send it to anyone else. Any accounting, business, or tax advice contained in this message from Monroe Business Services Inc PS, including its attachments, is not a formal opinion and is not intended to be a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Matthew King mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I had a contact yesterday where I went outside my macros with just simple comment on the other op's rig working well.  Lo and behold, he replied in kind. Long story short - we chatted for over an hour! One of the nicest QSOs I've ever had.

Definitely can't do that with FT8! :-)  That mode has a place, sure, but I still prefer PSK-31 as you CAN go conversational if you like. I do that about 50% of the time. Rarely does it turn into a lengthy chat, but I frequently learn interesting tidbits about the other op.  It's also how we've gotten many new members to the 070 club!

73, y'all!

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Rare DX is just that and pity the poor DX station who has to contend with a million or so hams who NEED that contacts and are not very mannerly in getting that contact.  The DX station doesn't have to deal with the "Kilocycle Kops" on his transmitting frequency yelling  "up, up , up" while the tuner-uppers are doing their thing... lots of malicious interference to deal with. Whether it be SSB or CW, the crap is still there and has only become worse.  In my early ham radio career I've heard many a DX station pull the plug on pileups. Used to be that American hams were the obnoxious ones, but now every other country has learned  to be obnoxious as well.

As a manager for a DX station, I was instructed by him to watch logs (paper ones !) for notes in margins saying that stations would not get QSL in any case because they were LIDs and did NOT follow instructions/procedures. ! Wish I still had those logs, but they went back to operator in the 80's.

This is just another reason that people chasing QSLs don't get them. Plus the stations send the poor DX operator 6 different ways to QSL  ...  bureau, LoTW, Eqsl, direct, Qrz.com ,   Hrd log,  and so on.   TMI !!!   Just say "QSL" and be done with it, the DX will send card whatever way works for him.

Jerry n9avy
BTW,  I use macros a lot , but I can and do edit them on the fly. Hate to send same boring stuff every time. A macro is used to get basic info across in case propagation changes, but after that...