Re: From an old PODXS member ...

Martin Tuip

Is it any different than using a computer to log thousands of CW contacts in a contest or the quick 5NN 73 with a rare DX Inna pile up?

Martin

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM -0800, "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

It was an interesting comment I found on FB and just thought I'd pass it along FWIW.   Just had a QSO on 2m this morning with a good friend and the subject of FT-8 came up.  He's made a bunch of contacts  and says it's okay if you just want to log a lot of contacts.  He also mentioned it might be the beginning of the end of Amateur Radio once they eliminate the Operator ... just computers talking to computers.   Interesting view point ...

Jerry  n9avy

From: "mwbesemer@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:14 PM
Subject: RE: [070] From an old PODXS member ...

Interesting.  I ran a lot of FT8 over the Thanksgiving holiday (because I could do it 'Armchair Portable' via Teamviewer and still be actively engaged with the rest of the family) and did not encounter that.  Honestly, I don't know how you COULD be crude/rude on FT8 since there is zero human interaction.

I suppose you could still plop down on an ongoing exchange and muck things up a bit, but anyone going to that much effort is probably a lid regardless of mode.

I'm certainly not going to convert to FT8 full time, but it was a good way to occupy some time this weekend - and I DID work South Africa on 17 meters using only 40 watts.

Mike
WM4B

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

   " Ha! ve  you tried the wunnerful FT8 yet? I ran about 200 contacts and went back  to PSK. Encountered a lot of crude and rude ops on FT8."