Re: 2018 ARRL Grid Chase

W7RIV

Jerry, I don't agree. I do not think all operators are interested in conversations. I'm one of them. I love FT8 because they are short. I think RTTY is typically short as well and I don't see that one going away. I also did JT-65 for a while. I tired of that, not because of the short communication, but because the length of time one took. Now, with FT-8 that problem has been resolved. I find it frustrating when I'm calling CQ and I send a short PSK31 QSO and I get back minutes and minutes of station data, weather data, antenna, etc. I have multiple macros, and I try to respect those sending. So if I answer a CQ being sent out, I will respond with more. But, not so much to draw out a long QSO and for what? Information that I don't need to know, and isn't a personal conversation. I've even broken out of the macros and had discussions when I see something interesting in the call or from QRZ data. FT-8 has been super fun and in a time where noise and signals are week, I've gotten more ATNO with FT-8 in the last 6 months than I have with PSK31. I love PSK31. I love this club. I love the endorsement checker. I would love to have something like that with every mode I do.

Bryon, W7RIV

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

My predictions are seldom accurate, but maybe this one will come to pass.

I suspect that FT-8 will self-destruct in a year or two because many will tire of contacts with little information. People get into ham radio to meet other people and have some meaningful conversations.  FT-8 QSOs are just plain old "599 QSL 73" ones and people will tire of that.  Choices of operating frequencies were ill conceived and there will be a backlash because of it.

I also predict that ARRL may see a loss in membership as a result of just another year long stupid contest which probably won't generate the revenue they had hoped. I plan on being one of the statistics in loss of revenue.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "Christopher J LaRue NO7E no7e@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070 <070@...>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 11:58 AM
Subject: [070] 2018 ARRL Grid Chase

Anyone else read the specifications on this?  FT8 is going to be
absolutely dominating every band when this mess starts.  It will be a
year long FT8 contest.

http://www.arrl.org/international-grid-chase-2018

I admit I like and use FT8 but I prefer to actually have a conversation
with other operators.  That is why I like PSK31, the problem is most of
the contacts are about as interesting lately as FT8.  Hello, my name is,
his/her name is the grid signal report and 73.  Sometimes you actually
get rig information and a little chat but that is getting rare even on
PSK31.

--
73 de Chris NO7E
no7e@...