Re: 80/160m Antenna

JEFF WALSH

Barry ...one of my other hobbies is N scale model railroading ..... I have tried 160m scaled down to N scale and it didn't load up ....
Jerry .... I never tried 160m in HO scale so I am unable to answer that one

but on the serious side I am lucky and live on 10 acres with no restrictions of any kind ...... I have full length 1/2 wave home brew wire dipoles running all over the place for 10m thru 160m ..... I run the antenna's thru a MFJ 993B auto tuner ...... and it has been my experience that loading 160m thru my 80m dipole gets me about the same results as I switch back and forth between the 2 antennas in real time  ....... 
I figure that the lack of difference now is because of the poor band conditions .... one day I will raise the 160m dipole higher as I threw it up in a hurry to participate in a PODXS contest one afternoon years ago .....seems like I am only on 160m now for PODXS contests .......raising it is not high on my to do list .... hi hi

I also have a Mosley TA33 at 40 feet ....... Zero Five vertical {10m thru 40m} and I can confirm that a vertical is noisier

I use to live in a deed restricted subdivision in FL with ZERO tolerance for ANY type of antenna so I know firsthand what many of you are going thru and sometimes we have our hands tied as far as antennas go .... so we have to make the best of a situation that unfortunately requires a compromise ....  

Jerry is right about the efficiency of a antenna in regards to trying to make up the length electrically ....

My father was a Ham for 70 years and I will always remember him telling me what good is top of the line radio with a bottom of the line antenna setup .....  He told make sure you have money for the antenna setup also ...

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:12 PM, "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

More like "N" and that would probably go great with my QRP setup.
QRP rig es QRP ant
Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

If ya build it in HO scale  (1:87 scale )

Jerry n9avy  

To: 070@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: [070] 80/160m Antenna

Don't think I can cram that in my available 40' X 40' space.
Barry

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.