From: "'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2017 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [070] Holy certificates, Batman !

Jerry,

That's funny because I got my share of Russian, Chinese and Cuban propaganda during those days but it didn't prevent me from getting a top secret clearance to keep a close eye on them when I was stationed in Europe.  LOL.

We were always the first to get our radios set up when we were in the field and on one occasion I got bored and decided to tune the shortwave bands just to see what was up.  I soon came across the news in English from Radio Moscow.  I recognized the accent from years of listening.  An officer just happened to walk by and asked what was on the radio.  I answered that it was the news from Radio Moscow.  Convinced that I was just being a smartass ( I can't imagine why he would think that) he asked again and at that moment we heard the very familiar refrain. "And that was the news from Radio Moscow."  He then said "Get that #%@& off that radio.  "Yes sir."  True story.

I guess the Cold War continues.

Jope
KA1PPV  #1482

On Friday, October 20, 2017 9:43 AM, "Steve P oldjavadrinker@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

That’s a good story Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 20, 2017, at 09:12, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Joe:

Pretty much the same here in my SWL days back in 60's & 70's.  If the mail didn't show up with QSLs I'd blame the mailman and be bummed out until next mail delivery.  Also used to get a ton of propaganda from Iron Curtain countries while would fill mail box.  One of the benefits of getting QSL cards from Communist countries is that it got one on the FBI  list .  Was at a get-together with a couple prominent SWLs/writers and one of them used Freedom of Information Act to get his FBI file; FBI had copies of everything he ever wrote to a Communist country !

Still have a nice collection of SWL QSLs kicking around here somewhere...

Jerry  N9AVY