Re: 17 meters

Jerry N9AVY

Next new mode will be  "digital spark gap".

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:32 AM
Subject: [070] 17 meters

Hi Folks,

Several of you have been trying 17 meter PSK31 recently.  If you are working on the 17 meter award (or any other award), it would help to know when to head to the shack and try to give you a contact.  I'm always trying to help others get their needed QSOs for whatever award they are pursuing.  I'm not really into stopping what I'm doing to head to the shack to chit chat.

The problem with FT-8 "invading" your favorite frequency is a lot bigger than FT-8, the ARRL or whatever.  Back in the good ol' days, ham experimenters were designing and building equipment and antennas.  Some of that is still happening but a lot of experimenters are working with ham radio digital software.  I look at my DXKeeper log and it has a drop-down list of something like 30 digital modes to select.  In the past couple of years, this list has expanded to include JT-65, JT-9 and FT-8 and probably some more.   The issue of how and where to fit in all of these digital modes into the radio spectrum has not been resolved.  I am sure there are developers out there somewhere working on something new right now that will eventually be added to the list of digital modes.  Maybe the next improved PSK31 or FT-8 is just around the corner and will cause more clutter.  I don't have the answer to the problem but I think it needs to come through the ITU as this is a global issue on the HF bands.  Jamming other stations and causing intentional havoc on the bands because you do not like what is going on is not in the best interest of amateur radio.

Thanks to everyone for the fun we have and I hope to see many of you on the waterfall soon.  I've got my Pumpkin station ready for this weekend.  Now if these pesky thunderstorms will just go away.

73,

Bill N4GBK