Re: 17m PSK31

mwbesemer mwbesemer <mwbesemer@...>

So, run a full gallon and the software actually does all the work. The op can just sit and watch.

Gee... that sounds like a real blast.

</SARCASM MODE OFF>

Mike

WM4B

On October 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM "tom@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

So, I'm a least power to make the QSO type guy.  Consider this "devils advocate" since I've seen the discussion several times.

Because FT8 can't decode as low of a DB level as JT65 and JT9, plus it doesn't have the same redundancy, people started cranking up the power to compensate.

FT8 also doesn't do super well decoding multiple signals on the same frequency.  So, the guy who runs power wins.

People claim that running high power doesn't cause splatter on the waterfall, that other things do (and it's usually on the receiver's side).  I'm not so sure about that, but that's the claim.

73,

Tom KN6Q

---In 070@..., <gdadx2@...> wrote :

I can't imagine running a KW on FT8 or any digital mode.  I have run power on RTTY when trying to work a new one but on daily basis, no way.

But that would explain why I get comparatively much weaker signal reports even if  bump power up to 50 watts or more.

The power runners argument is that even at 500 watts, you can have a weak signal on the receivers end.   If I could not get a PSK or FT8 signal through at 500 watts, it's time to go fishing.

73 Buddy WB4M

On 10/10/2017 11:10 AM, Jonathan Wilson eaglescout.jonathan@... [070] wrote:

Why would you need to run that much power?  I've logged 70 or so contacts using my FT817 and a dipole in the last 3 days.

On 10/9/17 6:46 PM, tom@... [070] wrote:

Many of the FT8 stations run a full KW. There is a lot of debate between the QRO/QRP people on FT8 groups (it's a weak signal mode, not low power mode).

Yep, Hellschreiber, Olivia, PSK - FT8 steps on lots of things.  Like I said, it's all based on the default settings in WSJT-X.  If they change the frequencies there, everyone will move.  Otherwise it's a lost cause and everything will have to move around them.

73,

Tom KN6Q

---In 070@..., <n9avy@...> wrote :

Ray:

14.040  ???   Don't you mean 14.070 ??

If there is no specific band plan for he digital modes then there will be chaos.  The FT8 crowd is already QRMing the Hellschreiber crowd.  When the RTTY signals start in Winter season, the FT8 guys will be complaining about QRM on 17m because many RTTY stations run 500 watts to a full KW. and that might be a problem.

This whole thing needs to be sorted out before our bands become intolerable.

From: "tom@... [070]" <070@...>
To: <070@...>

As someone who does both, the FT8 default frequencies are programmed in WSJT-X application (which is still in the release candidate 2 stage for FT8).   The best chance is to get them to change the frequency they use on when the release version (or RC3) comes out by complaining on the group.

This isn't the only band/mode that has a conflict, I don't FT8 also runs into Olivia on 20 meters.

If your hoping FT8 goes away, I seriously doubt it anytime soon.  It has absolutely dominated every other digital mode for use since it came out.   Even JT65/JT9 modes are pretty dead now, especially JT9.

73,

Tom KN6Q

---In 070@..., <rickocr2005@...> wrote :

I know I am late to the party, but trying on 17m now.....

Fr Richard
WB8YXF

On Monday, October 9, 2017, 11:46:24 AM EDT, 'Steve Case' artcase@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I was there too for the last half hour, CQ'd saw nothing but FT8 sigs. I agree use it or lose it.
Steve
WA7ETE
PNW