Re: 17m PSK31

Jerry N9AVY

Sounds like an idea !

Jerry  n9avy

From: "Peter Hiltz pmhiltz@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [070] 17m PSK31

All,

Having noticed the same thing on the bands I'd like to propose we shift down in frequency, as a group, and let our shift of numbers pull a new standard.  Folks will find us and move so as to make contacts.

We can approach this two ways:

a. I've noticed that most signals are not at the bandplan frequencies, but instead up 1.5 KHz.  That is, we're setting our radios to the bandplan frequency which, at least in fldigi, puts you up 1.5 KHz.  If we all subtract 1.5KHz we would be using the actual correct frequency, that is, centered at the bandplan frequency and ranging up or down a bit.

b. We agree as a group to shift down 2 KHz.  That will have the same effect with less confusion, assuming subtracting 1.5 KHz is confusing to some.

If we get the PODs folks to move, others will follow.  We can set a new standard ourselves, which might be easier than convincing the ARRL to update their bandplan.

I'm going to sit on 18.098 MHz on my dial, which puts fldigi looking at 18.0995 MHz.  It looks clear there, and around it.

Pete
WV3S

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 1:16 PM, tom@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

As someone who does both, the FT8 default frequencies are programmed in WSJT-X application (which is still in the release candidate 2 stage for FT8).   The best chance is to get them to change the frequency they use on when the release version (or RC3) comes out by complaining on the group.

This isn't the only band/mode that has a conflict, I don't FT8 also runs into Olivia on 20 meters.

If your hoping FT8 goes away, I seriously doubt it anytime soon.  It has absolutely dominated every other digital mode for use since it came out.   Even JT65/JT9 modes are pretty dead now, especially JT9.

73,

Tom KN6Q

---In 070@..., wrote :

I know I am late to the party, but trying on 17m now.....

Fr Richard
WB8YXF

On Monday, October 9, 2017, 11:46:24 AM EDT, 'Steve Case' artcase@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

I was there too for the last half hour, CQ'd saw nothing but FT8 sigs. I agree use it or lose it.
Steve
WA7ETE
PNW