Re: CME Blues

Matthew King - AK4MK

The A index today is *38*, and the K index is *8*, so the "decade class" CME that erupted a day or two ago has definitely made it here now!

Yesterday I was unable to decode many signals - they looked "distorted" and sure enough, they would not decode.

I hope that it's not affecting the NWS/NHC efforts surrounding Irma.

Speaking of Irma, they're predicting that it's still going to be Tropical Storm strength when it makes it to my neck of the woods in West Central Georgia, so I'm beginning preparations to be without power for a few days, potentially.  Working on the generator, getting gasoline, and readying the chainsaw.  Hurricane Opal was our last "real" brush with tropical weather, and that was 22 years ago. We actually had 70 mph winds at the Columbus, GA airport then. That's STRONG for these parts, and that's what they seem to be forecasting as a very real possibility for this area now.

If I'm not heard from for a few days next week, now you know why! :-O

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM, JEFF WALSH jeffwalsh1644@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Same here last night in MS ......looked like psk31 on 20m but no decode even though it was a strong signal .... ...the traces looked very blurry but the width was that of psk31 ,,,,,.later one of the traces was partially decoded enuf to to put together pieces of the callsign and believe it was Jim K5SP but would have been impossible to carry on a qso under those conditions.

I went to 20m phone and had no problems copying several stations there.

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Friday, September 8, 2017 10:11 AM, "w3hf@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Not sure. I saw something similar to Mike, I think on both 20 and 40. Multiple signals that all seemed strong enough but no consistent decodes. I was thinking some sort of phase distortion--could have been multipath, and I think aurora does that. But it seemed to last for a few hours.

I'm just glad that I wasn't the only one seeing it--that probably means that my station isn't broken.