Re: At a crossroads

Matthew King <mrk.twg@...>

Looks like DX Engineering has the Tigertronics SignaLink USB combo (with the correct cable for your rig) for $129.95.  Add to that a standard USB cable and you're in business.

It could probably be found for less, but it's hard to be DXE's simplicity and tech support, should you need it. Not that Tigertronics wouldn't help you as well, but the folks at DXE are just so helpful.

Either one, the RigBlaster that Chris recommends or the SignaLink USB that a few of us have mentioned, would get you going in fine order.

Let us know which route you take!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 5:46 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews n9jca.chris@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Hi Group

If I may here is my answer to the mix ( Don't know how much Justin wants to spend )

Since Day 1, back in the late 70's when I got interested in the Digital side of Ham Radio

I have used a RigBlaster ( 2 or 3 different Models ) until I settled on the RigBlaster Advantage I have one for my ICOM 746Pro and my ICOM 718 and have never had a problem with either of them and if you follow the Manual that comes with it you can't go wrong in the setup and you will be on the air within 30 minutes once you start

1 RigBlaster Box with a built in sound card

1Rig CTRL Cable

1 Plug that fits into the back of the Rig in the ACC Plugin with 2 Cables

1 CAT Cable

You can call West Mountain Radio at 1 262 522 6503 ask for a Tech, tell him the kind of Rig you are running and they will set you up with all the right Cables that you need

Cost is approx $250.00 for everything and IMHO well worth the $$$$

Chris N9JCA PODXS 797 LONP 165

73

" I am always doing that which I CANNOT do;
in order that I may LEARN how to do it "
On 9/4/17 4:14 PM, Stephen Melachrinos melachri@... [070] wrote:

Justin -

There are two parts of the setup of an "external soundcard" interface like the SignaLink: the computer side and the radio side. (Sorry if that was a "doh!")

As others have pointed out, the radio side is pretty easy--you use a cable specific to your radio, and then adjust the signal level to the radio using the Tx knob on the SignaLink.

The computer side has a few more steps, but it's still pretty easy. It's a single USB cable, so the mechanical part is easy. Once you plug it in (and both the computer and SignaLink are powered on), the computer should recognize the external sound card and then set it up. You then have to make sure that the external sound card is selected for your PSK program and nothing else. You can continue to use the computer's sound card for other audio functions, like sound on web sites, Windows sounds, etc. But don't let Windows use the SignaLink's sound card for any of those functions or you risk transmitting things like Windows chimes and music over the air. Somewhere in your PSK program should be a menu to select the SignaLink. (Note that it might not actually be called "SignaLink" to Windows--it might have a name based on the chipset inside. Before you plug it in, take a note of what your internal sound card is called, and then look for the new one after the SignaLink is plugged in.) Finally, set the gain of the audio going to the PC using the Rx knob on the SignaLink.

The last thing to do is configure the virtual COM port used for PTT. Rather than try to figure it out logically, I just tried the various choices in the PSK program until I found the one that keyed the radio.

I used a SignaLink USB at the "rental" station in Guam, so it's been a while since I've used one, but one thing I do remember is try not to use different USB ports on the computer if you have to disconnect and then reconnect the SignaLink. IIRC, if I used the same port then the computer and software remembered the settings. If I used a different USB port, then I had to change the settings in the software (like the number of the virtual COM port).