Re: W5MMW/VE3 Portable Operation (APE) August 19-26

W5MMW Matt Manjos

Thanks! Prop seems to be pretty good at grayline tonight. Got France and Italy booming in at 20dB here and they're running <30W!

Thanks again for QSO! I'll be sending unique cards to all 070 members and most who do paper according to qrz.com.

Still on the air for another 30-60 minutes

Matt
W5MMW

On Aug 26, 2017 17:18, "Paul Milward nu4c@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Matt
TU for the Q. You have bright clean trace here in FL.
73
PAUL NU4C

On Aug 26, 2017 16:58, "W5MMW Matt Manjos matt@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Last evening on the air for me from /VE3. I'll be on 20m and will try to stay around the upper portion of 070.

Matt
W5MMW/VE3

On Aug 23, 2017 13:33, "W5MMW Matt Manjos" <matt@...> wrote:
Thanks! I spent some extra time adjusting the OCFD to not only low swr but also where X=0. I think the height is also helping.

I'll be on 20m for at least another hour today. Probably back on later tonight after that.

Matt

On Aug 23, 2017 09:39, "'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Matt,

Saw you working FL so you were getting out OK.  Looked like a good Q from here.
Will be watching for you.  Hopefully I will be able to get through this time.

CUL
73
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:06 AM, "W5MMW Matt Manjos matt@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

:) Thanks! I've been surprised how well it's actually worked out being forced into QRP. I am used to operating with a buddipole from a porch in the middle of a bunch of concrete apartment buildings, so being out in the open with an OCFD strung up at about 50 feet is a huge improvement.

Worked a good number during the SEQP yesterday. Going to try to get on the air each day this week.

On the bright side, RX is still fine on the radio and at least I'm not totally dead in the water. Just have to make a warranty case with icom once I get back.

Thanks again for the report!

73
W5MMW

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 9:19 AM, 'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Hey Matt,

So it won't go over 7 watts?  I don't see the problem.  That's about 5 db better that me.
Seriously though I know full well how frustrating it is when your equipment lets you down at a critical time.  The bright side is that I have seen your signal several times but the conditions here have been absolutely awful on 20m so I haven't gotten through yet but I will keep trying.  I would like to capture at least one APE this season.  I have seen several running around in the RF jungle but no luck yet.

GL
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:59 PM, "W5MMW Matt Manjos matt@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Some bad news... it seems the finals on my almost brand new IC-7200 are toast. Only my second time taking it out since picking it up in June and it refuses to transmit above 8 or so watts :( The rig jumps from <1.1 SWR to ∞ and powers down if I tease the power past 8W. I get the same symptoms with 3 different known-working antenna setups, on multiple bands.

The silver lining is that it seems to be functional if I keep it below 7W. So it looks like I'll be working QRP for the rest of my APE plans (as long as the rig holds up).

Hoping to be on the air most of the day tomorrow (and during the SEQP). Not sure if the radio is actually sending 7W, but that's what it will be set to, going into either a buddipole or a OCFD depending on the band.

Cheers - 73
W5MMW #2552

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM, W5MMW Matt Manjos <matt@...> wrote:
W5MMW/VE3 coming on the air in a few minutes. 20m band.

Matt

On Aug 4, 2017 16:04, "W5MMW Matt Manjos" <matt@...> wrote:
Just wanted to announce my plans to operate an August PSK Expedition while portable from Renfrew, Ontario, Canada.

I will be on the air as W5MMW/VE3 from grid FN15 starting Saturday, August 19th and running until Saturday, August 26th.

I'm planning on focusing on 20m during the day, 40m at night and occasionally 6m, but I can tune and operate on everything from 80 - 6 so I'm definitely open to a Sked if you need that grid on a particular band.

Likewise, please don't hesitate to reach out for a Sked if you'd like! I am hoping to be on the air each day for at least a few hours (mostly in the afternoon, Eastern time zone). Some operation will be done from pontoon boat! Pictures at https://qrz.com/db/W5MMW/VE3

I am also planning on being on the air running PSK during the Solar Eclipse QSO Party (August 21).

I will QSL as W5MMW/VE3 (pse include suffix) to LoTW and eQSL and will be handling Paper QSL cards from my QTH in Redwood City, CA. No SASE necessary, and I'll be printing special cards for this APE.

Thanks! 73

Matt - PODXS #2552
W5MMW