From: "Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Good Luck eclipse chasers

We observed the solar eclipse at the Vineyard Mountain Swim Club in Corvallis, OR.

As totality approached, there was a noticeable drop in the temperature.  The breeze picked up, which we were told was typical for evening time.  It was the equivalent of sunset, but not total darkness.

Totality was an amazing experience.  For 1 minute 49 seconds we could observe the eclipsed sun and the sun's corona without our eclipse glasses.   It was an incredible and amazing sight.

As the moon moved from in front the sun, we could see shimmering shadows of the sun's corona cast on the concrete surrounding the pool.   I didn't expect that at all.  What an experience - Wow!!

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Aug 23, 2017, at 8:03 AM, David Rock david@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

* Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> [2017-08-19 15:41]:
> You and hundreds of thousands of other  "Eclipse Peepers" !   Traffic jams
> will be horrific !   Good luck !   Watch out afterwards for people driving
> who had wrong types of solar glasses. Full report on your return !

It was pretty amazing. I got some pretty good pictures and met some great
people. I even remembered to actually look up at totality in between taking
all the pictures with the telescope. :-)

The strangest thing for me was the lighting. Very hard to describe what it
looked like. The closest comparison I can make is the orangeish tint from
street lamps or looking through blu-blocker glasses.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...