Re: W5MMW/VE3 Portable Operation (APE) August 19-26

W5MMW Matt Manjos

Some bad news... it seems the finals on my almost brand new IC-7200 are toast. Only my second time taking it out since picking it up in June and it refuses to transmit above 8 or so watts :( The rig jumps from <1.1 SWR to ∞ and powers down if I tease the power past 8W. I get the same symptoms with 3 different known-working antenna setups, on multiple bands.

The silver lining is that it seems to be functional if I keep it below 7W. So it looks like I'll be working QRP for the rest of my APE plans (as long as the rig holds up).

Hoping to be on the air most of the day tomorrow (and during the SEQP). Not sure if the radio is actually sending 7W, but that's what it will be set to, going into either a buddipole or a OCFD depending on the band.

Cheers - 73
W5MMW #2552

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM, W5MMW Matt Manjos <matt@...> wrote:
W5MMW/VE3 coming on the air in a few minutes. 20m band.

Matt

On Aug 4, 2017 16:04, "W5MMW Matt Manjos" <matt@...> wrote:
Just wanted to announce my plans to operate an August PSK Expedition while portable from Renfrew, Ontario, Canada.

I will be on the air as W5MMW/VE3 from grid FN15 starting Saturday, August 19th and running until Saturday, August 26th.

I'm planning on focusing on 20m during the day, 40m at night and occasionally 6m, but I can tune and operate on everything from 80 - 6 so I'm definitely open to a Sked if you need that grid on a particular band.

Likewise, please don't hesitate to reach out for a Sked if you'd like! I am hoping to be on the air each day for at least a few hours (mostly in the afternoon, Eastern time zone). Some operation will be done from pontoon boat! Pictures at https://qrz.com/db/W5MMW/VE3

I am also planning on being on the air running PSK during the Solar Eclipse QSO Party (August 21).

I will QSL as W5MMW/VE3 (pse include suffix) to LoTW and eQSL and will be handling Paper QSL cards from my QTH in Redwood City, CA. No SASE necessary, and I'll be printing special cards for this APE.

Thanks! 73

Matt - PODXS #2552
W5MMW