Re: Today's Funny Story

Randy True

So, you could put your vertical on a tilt base and have a directional vertical?

Randy W4RTT

From: 070@... <070@...> on behalf of Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:21 PM
To: 070@...
Subject: Re: [070] Today's Funny Story

Joe:

The "trick" with vertical is to count them a few degrees from true vertical  and that'll give  you a different directional pattern.

Found this tidbit in the Ham Radio Operators Guide to Old wives Tales and Other Myths .

jerry  N9AVY

To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:53 PM

Barry,

I asked him.  I had made several contacts there in the weeks before including him (VK3BM).  The mornings we talked with his beam oriented toward Europe and I also was able to work Reunion Island at the same time. Later on he said that he swung it around and came across the Pacific. I googled his QTH and immediately understood why we had the QSO.  The beam antenna on his tower was bigger than his house.

I was curious as to why I got him both times that is why I asked.   I did the same thing with a station near Adeleide too.

When the prop is in, it is in even for qrp stations.  Sure do miss those days though.  Haven't had contact with the Aussie's in quite a while now.

Jerry I tried to rotate the vertical but nothing changed???????  Maybe I should mount it upside down but then I would have to operate prq. Ya had to go there didn't ya.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:32 PM, "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Rotate the vertical, of course !

Jerry  N9AVY

To: 070@...
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:57 PM

Joe

When using a vertical how do you determine if your contact is long path or short path.

TVM
Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

Steve,

Great catch!  I've seen him at my QTH but no joy here.

I was blown away when I reached Australia on long path.  I was on 20m using a vertical on the roof with 1.5 watts.
As you said, "when it's in it's in!  Ya gotta love this mode!

73  GDX!!
Joe
KA1PPV  #1482
alt Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.