Re: Explain Something for Me

Mike Flowers

I can certainly understand the frustrations when weird text from broken or incomplete macros gets sent, and when the other OM’s callsign is embedded in brackets, dashes or weird ASCII special characters.  We have this sophisticated software on our end – doesn’t the other guy?

When operating PSK31, I try (but don’t always succeed) to keep these points in mind:

  1. Unless you are in QSO with a PropNet robot, the other op is a human being, and like all of us, prone making to errors.
  2. The digimodes are likely new to many of the ops on the air, so you don’t know where the other op is on their learning curve with the technology.
  3. Like, Joe, I am still the operator of my station, and I am in control and not the software.  If the software is having problems with the data received, then I’ll ‘operate’ the software and capture the callsign, etc., and other data that my logger needs.
  4. Beyond the public service aspects of Amateur Radio, it’s intended to be a hobby and to be fun.  I find that focusing on what the other op is doing ‘wrong’ lessens the fun for me.

I was fortunate enough at age 13 to be put through two touch-typing courses at the Columbia Business College.   My mother saw it as inexpensive day-care.  All the other students were young ladies about 18 – 22 years old.   I often had difficulties paying attention to the lessons.  ;>)  The keyboard skills learned there helped me immensely through my IT career.

Keep smiling and we’ll see you on the bands!!

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC