Re: Question ?

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Haha Mike — Like the ole comedian who used to say:

You can call me Ray , you can call me RayJay but just don’t call me Raymond!!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Jul 13, 2017, at 10:01 AM, mwbesemer@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Similar to macros that automatically populate the 'name' field from a callbook lookup.

When I first got this call, I became 'Charlie' for several years until all the websites had updated.  Now I'm 'Michael' - which I've never been called by anyone.

Personally, I won't call someone by name in a QSO until they give it to me; I don't address them at all until I get a name, lest I used the traditional 'OM' when I actually have a YL on the other end.

'Back in the day', most of us didn't consider it a good contact unless we copied RS(T), Name, and QTH.  Unfotunately, many (most) of the old traditions are gone.  Some folks get upset if you want a 'real' QSL card from them; when I got my ticket, a QSL was considered 'the final courtesy' of a QSO and nearly everyone sent them for every contact.  Now it's pretty much LOTW or nothing.

We've got more modes, better radios, and neater toys these days, but we're missing something really important.

Mike (not Michael, Charles, or Charlie)
WM4B

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Lately I've been working a lot of station  who when answering a call, send both my first and last names ?   What's up with this ???   It seems to not be in the Amateur Radio tradition of just sending one's first name.  Seems to me kind of like junk mail and very impersonal.

Just curious...