Firecracker Sprint

Jon Greene <wx5nco@...>

I hate to do it, but I'm going to throw in the towel for this contest. I was able to make about 5 QSO's, and I'm happy with that, considering my antenna. As some of you may know, I haven't been on HF in about 5 years. So, yesterday, I decided to fire up the radio and I've had a blast.

My 40 - 80 meter antenna is less than desirable. It hears great, but it doesn't talk worth a darn. Now, before I describe this "antenna" you have to promise not to laugh. I bought this off of ebay years ago. It's made out of either speaker cable or lamp cord. The legs are still together. Now, one leg is 100 foot, and the other is 50 foot. It's fed by a balum to 50 Ohm coax. I've got it run along the privacy fence about 5 or 6 foot off the ground. Yeah, less than desirable, but some times you have to do what you have to do. I'm thinking about making a multi-band fan dipole with 40/30/20/10. That should get me the bands that I want. I also have a 80 meter double bazooka for, well, 80 meters. I have a 20 bazooka that I use for 20 and 30. It seems to do well, but I want to see if I can do better. I've never really thought about getting on 40, until this contest hihi.

DE Jon Greene WX5NCO
Tulsa, Oklahoma EM26
070 - 592
30DMC - 1233