Re: Why not QSL?

Jerry N9AVY

10-4  Curt !!!

From: "Curtis D Sanders k3urt@... [070]" <070@...>
To: PODXS 070 Club <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Why not QSL?

I can't explain it either. I love receiving and giving QSL cards. Cards are the final courtesy of a contact. I was like you, avid SWLer during my teens, came back last 22 years as a ham. Big difference in last few years of amateur radio.  The culture has changed - not sure for the best either. As an "old" fuddy duddy ham, in the past we never discussed (1) politics, (2) religion, and (3) sex. Now?? Geez, get on 80 meters and listen to all that trash! Quickly becoming CB radio in my opinion.
73 de Curt, K3URT, 100% verifier!

On Jan 29, 2017, at 8:54 PM, oldjavadrinker@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

The last topic of discussion delved into the area of QSL'ing a bit. I didn't want to continue that string but it does make me want to vent a little bit. Years ago as a novice in the 70's the only QSL'ing we did was those wonderful cards we hung up all over the shack. I got out of the hobby for many years after I retired from Army and Law Enforcement I jumped back into hamming in 2014.

Wow, now we have all sorts of methods of QSL'ing. We have bureau's , LoTW, eQSL, HRDnet, etc etc...and oh by the way, old faithful, USPS QSL cards.  With all these methods it would seem so easy to QSL a contact...wouldn't it?  I mean most logging programs can actually upload it to the site automatically or at least with a click of the mouse.

So why am I at LoTW 49% QSL rate, eQSL at 63%, and a han! dful of QSL cards. The cards, I understand, postage, time, whatever. But when all one has to do is click a mouse to sent TNX for QSO, I don't understand.
Some operators (ME), have 6 or 7 QSO's from MA, no QSL, NM 4, no QSL...shall I go on?

You almost have to work your WAS two times to get enough QSL's to confirm your award.  I QSL 100% to LoTW and eQSL, and even QRZ and it is not a big effort or inconvenience.  Anyway, I think we deserve to do better for each other. You never know who needs that one QSO to complete an award.

Nothing in this is directed at any one particular ham, club, or group. It is just a little rant on a Sunday night from a part time curmudgeon. :).

Happy QSL'ing all,

73 Steve
KM4FLF/VE3