Re: Why not QSL?

Jerry N9AVY

Steve:

Like to share with you & others what I found after 40 years in ham radio. 

LoTW is my main QSL program and out 0f 26840 Q's uploaded, only about 58%  have QSLed.  This includes SSB, CW, RTTY and PSK31 and maybe some other digital modes.

On Eqsl the percentage will be much lower with only about 10931 Q's there. 

What I have noticed and heard from fellow DXers is that RTTY and CW seem to have a higher percentage of returns.

In my Novice days in late 70's ,  QSLs with fellow Novices were few and far between. May have worked WAS, but many who said they'd QSL never did.

With 336  countries confirmed, I've spent a small fortune on shipping QSLs with return postage.  Yes, lost a bunch of "green stamps"  (dollar bills and fives), too.  Some countries took multiple mailings. These days with all the postage increases worldwide, a simple DXCC by mail would be over $500 if you figure postage, return postage, envelopes, and cost of QSL cards.

Thankfully, we have sites like LoTW , Eqsl and other which are on the net and QSLing is a lot simpler.  This has made it easier for all of us.  Yet there seems to be those stations who won't QSL for some reason. Why, I don't know ?

All any of us can do is to QSL via whatever we use and hope the other guy answers. I agree with you that sending a confirmation is so easy "... even a caveman can do it..." !

This is aimed at no one... just the deadbeats who don't QSL even though their QRZ page says they do. (Might also point out that there are certain DX stations who make a business by selling QSLs , yes, they ask for $5 per card and sometimes they have the card sent though a U.S. address , adding insult to injury.)

Jerry  N9AVY   #454

To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:54 PM
Subject: [070] Why not QSL?

The last topic of discussion delved into the area of QSL'ing a bit. I didn't want to continue that string but it does make me want to vent a little bit. Years ago as a novice in the 70's the only QSL'ing we did was those wonderful cards we hung up all over the shack. I got out of the hobby for many years after I retired from Army and Law Enforcement I jumped back into hamming in 2014.

Wow, now we have all sorts of methods of QSL'ing. We have bureau's , LoTW, eQSL, HRDnet, etc etc...and oh by the way, old faithful, USPS QSL cards.  With all these methods it would seem so easy to QSL a contact...wouldn't it?  I mean most logging programs can actually upload it to the site automatically or at least with a click of the mouse.

So why am I at LoTW 49% QSL rate, eQSL at 63%, and a handful of QSL cards. The cards, I understand, postage, time, whatever. But when all one has to do is click a mouse to sent TNX for QSO, I don't understand.
Some operators (ME), have 6 or 7 QSO's from MA, no QSL, NM 4, no QSL...shall I go on?

You almost have to work your WAS two times to get enough QSL's to confirm your award.  I QSL 100% to LoTW and eQSL, and even QRZ and it is not a big effort or inconvenience.  Anyway, I think we deserve to do better for each other. You never know who needs that one QSO to complete an award.

Nothing in this is directed at any one particular ham, club, or group. It is just a little rant on a Sunday night from a part time curmudgeon. :).

Happy QSL'ing all,

73 Steve 
KM4FLF/VE3

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.