Re: New England States?

Mike - W0TMW #2207

Since last September, I finished my WAS with a digital endorsement using my DX-88 vertical with 26 radials. It can be done.

Mike - W0TMW

  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 06/29/2016 02:25 PM, Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070] wrote:

I agree with Matt. I have a 5BTV with 32 radials, and have managed to work and confirm 185 countries in the past 6-7 years. Also have completed the 5 Band WAS.

73 de Joe KJ8O

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Matthew King - KK4CPS mrk.twg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Sounds like you have it nailed, Dave. The time difference and your available operating times are certainly not conducive to picking up the Nor'Easters!

What sort of radial system do you have with your Butternut? I've got a Hustler 6BTV with about 40 ground radials, and I've managed to work the entire country and large parts of the world with it. The radial system made a TREMENDOUS difference in the signals I received. Without the radials, it was a dismal performer.... with the radials, I've been impressed as to just how well it does hear/get out for a ground mounted vertical.

Stick with it - you'll get 'em!

73

Matthew King

KW4VY 070 #1708

PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM, ak7db@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Matthew,
I'm using a vertical antenna (Butternut HF-9V).  I think part of my problem is the 3 hour time difference coupled with my operating times. During the week I often don't get on the radio until 10pm my time which is 1am east coast so pretty late. In the mornings I'm usually on around 6am my local time but typically just see the same few stations every morning.  I haven't had much time on the weekends to operate during the day.

Before the temps got into the 110's here in Vegas I was operating mobile during my lunch break but that's probably on hold until late September now.

I've only been at this since the end of February this year but have never seen a station from ME, DE, NH or VT.  I did pick up two  CT stations and a RI station during FD so that helped.

73, Dave
AK7DB

--
Joe Miller, KJ8O