From: "Mike Watson mikew@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: [070] HRD and freezing

I can attest to the RF issue.  HRD works great on my vertical. But, when I switch to my OCF dipole, after a few minutes transmitting, the HRD rig control drops the connection with my rig, a Kenwood TS-590SG. I can kill the rig control portion of HRD, relink it with the logger and DM780 and all is well again.

I haven't a clue why one antenna affects HRD and the other doesn't.  The dipole doesn't always affect HRD, on 20M it does, on 40M it doesn't, or at least it isn't frequent enough that I'd remember.

Mike - W0TMW

  -- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 03/23/2016 04:05 PM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Stray RF can be a real problem.  A balun at the antenna will reduce some problems, but one of the major problems I've found here is the keyboard...a  snap on choke usually solves the problem.   Other computer peripherals may also require snap on chokes, but it is a hit or miss proposition.

Working with alarm, I found over the years that tightly bundling cables is a cause of "cross-talk"  which in laymen's terms means that the data will jump from one cable to another (capacitive coupling).  Use of cable ties should be avoided.

Ran into this at a large mall  that had 2 separate fire alarm systems which were addressable (data lines); because of local politics 2 separate systems were required.  The problem was discovered a few months after installation when a smoke detector false alarmed and initiated an alarm in the other system.  It took several weeks to find the problem which turned out to be parallel cables for both systems in a long cable run.  The same thing can happen is our ham radio stations only on a much smaller scale.

Stray RF and data signals don't always go together well.  The best we can do is use of chokes and routing of cables to prevent problems. If you have cables running parallel make sure that they are separated as much as possible.  If they need to cross each other try to route them at  right angles. Shielded data cable may also help.

Hope this helps someone.

Jerry  N9AVY

BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS