Re: Logging

Jerry N9AVY

I tend to agree with Joe & Milt....   with an amp you had better have a really good antenna for receiving.  When I run the amp I'll get a "run" on a frequency and hear the "little guys" running 100 watts or less to to crummy antennas.  Most are barely audible, but a bit of work and they can picked out of the noise. Guess they think because they hear a station loud & clear that they sound the same at other end. Nope.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "Joseph Miller kj8o.ham@... [070]" <070@...>
To: PODXS <070@...>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [070] Logging

I agree with Milt. I haven' been licensed that long (approx. 10 years) and have 185 worked and confirmed from the black hole of the Midwest. One thing about having an amp, you will need a receiving system to detect the weaker signals (gators). I heard about one guy who bought an amp and the only people who called him were the weaker and more distant station​s.

Ok, back to work...

73 de Joe KJ8O

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:53 AM, 'Milton Garb' n6mg@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Joe, I had 250+ countries confirmed before I bought my 1st amp. It’s a nice Alpha 77SX, and still very much in use.
Here’s my philosophy on 20m;
“Anybody that is somebody on the air, will show up on 20m sooner or later, and it’s working DX. You don’t have to be a great operator; you just have to be there.”
Milt.
N6MG