Re: Air as an insulator ...

Mike, the map on the referenced website shows a lot of activity in the center of Africa.

Not where I expected to see that most.

Very interesting...and good reading.

Thanks for sharing that.

Milt.

N6MG

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2016 10:41 AM
To: 070@...
Subject: RE: [070] Air as an insulator ...

As Milt said – with lightning, all bets are off …

From: http://www.aharfield.co.uk/lightning-protection-services/about-lightning

There is estimated to be around 2,000 lightning storm active around the global at one time creating over 100 strikes per second. These thunderstorms generate a potential difference of 200,000 to 500,000 volts between the Earth’s surface and the ionosphere, with a fair weather current of about 2×10-12 amperes/meter2.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, President - NCDXC

Sent: Friday, January 08, 2016 10:15 AM
To: 070@...
Subject: RE: [070] Air as an insulator ...

Jerry,

What you saw happened one time...in your basement and could never be recreated...anywhere else...at any time...and you’re dealing with huge, massive voltage, and there are no constants.

Air is the best insulator there is.

Put a lot of air between the voltage terminus and ground and see. Is 6’ a lot? Apparently not when you consider the unknown and unmeasured voltage of lightening.

Concrete is also an insulator. Not a very good insulator, but none the less it insulates to a point. Google “Ufer Ground” and see how concrete is used in construction for grounding...and I mean HUGE buildings!

Milt.

N6MG

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2016 9:54 AM
To: yahoogroups <070@...>
Subject: [070] Air as an insulator ...

I seriously doubt this theory.  Where I once lived just outside Chicago,  Had an 4BTV with radials mounted on roof of house.  Spring storms came around and I ran to basement to disconnect antenna while lightning was all around.  After antenna was disconnected and coax was hanging 6 feet above basement floor, I watched a big, blue arc go from coax to basement floor. 

Doubt that air is a good insulator.

Jerry  N9AVY

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.