Happy New Year Ramblings

Bill Garwood

Hello PSKers,

Hello from eastern NC.  From time to time, I’ll pop in with some comments.

The PSKFest was fun.  Propagation was not very good.  Did not work many stations west of the Mississippi like in previous contests but 40 meters was a pileup with multiple stations in the eastern states calling at times Friday night local time.  The operators seemed to be doing a much better job at making a short friendly QSO.  Only a couple of the long macros about the weather and software versions.  I wish the ops had been this nice when we were doing the W1AW/ portables in 2014!

I really like the idea of having certain days for trying PSK operations on certain bands.  30 meters should be open to somewhere in the US and beyond just about 24/7.  I can call CQ there for hours and no one answers but the RTTY folks and other modes are making contacts.  17 meters is good at least part of most days while 12 meters is shut down most of the time.  I did work 2 EU stations last week on 12 meters.

I appreciate all that Matt, David, Milt and the others in the management team are doing to keep the club working smoothly and for creating fun with ham radio.

Last year, I sent out a list of things I copied from various QSOs on PSK31.  Here’s my list from 2015.  Some of these were from non-English speaking folks and their spelling was a bit off but it is all in good fun.

Hanky Holidays!

I WHOSE HAPY TO MIN YOU GOD BLESS YOU MY FRED

TANKS FOR QSO MAY QSL IS OK VIA BUREAU

Your 20 warts is wroking very well for condetions.

Operator : bay bay 737373

power 3kW in  digimodes

Happy in the new band.

YOUR SIGNAL 55 99

All the best to you rod family.

Operator : Created 1986, licensed 1988

QTH Ormon Bitch, FL;

IT; ITQ IT; IT; IT; IT; ITQ IT7 ITei ITTQ IT; IT; ITei IT; IT; ITQ IT; ITe

RSSRSTSTTTST   :  555  555  555 ::::: : 599 599

Finally, this is from a website’s English translation about special event calls in Russia.  It reads like something the FCC or IRS would put out:

Document certifying education call signal is certificate of education call signal. Certificates are issued from October 5, 2007 year.  Regardless of the appearance of the certificate, the validity of which has not expired, are valid. The period of validity of the certificate on the formation of a permanent call signal of not more than 10 years.

Happy Radio friends!

Bill N4GBK