Re: Any antenna gurus here?

Robert Johnstone

Needing and liking are two different things. I have worked all the lower states on under 24 watts without radials on a 5btv mounted 4 inches off the grass on a 3 Ft pipe driven into Grey Clay soil that I water occasionally in the summer.  I started adding copper wire radials and lost some of the near field contacts on all but 80M while gaining some increased DX stations.  Having worked Australia and NZ less than 30Watts without radials from KS I disagree with "have to have" and find TED perhaps exaggerating or at least painting with a broad Paint brush.  Finding a properly trimmed resonant antenna exponentially more efficient than any untuned to the location antenna. The recent Alpha Delta products purchased here are not what they once were.  Several have been cut up locally saving the center and ends to make nice dipoles as the traps are not doing as advertised. Their instructions now say you will have to adjust each segment.  His location is a unique situation and may take a unique solution.  Possibly something like the AD away from the Mt from the tree top and a fan dipole sloping at 45deg facing the MT.
My added $.02 AD0QO

From: "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: [070] Any antenna gurus here?

The DX-EE  is a much better antenna than a G5RV.  I think the DX-EE can be installed in an inverted V configuration which will give somewhat of a vertical radiation pattern .  Ted is absolutely correct about verticals needing radials; the more the merrier. Unless , of course, you're sitting atop a pile of iron ore.

I have an Alpha-Delta DX-A  which is a dual sloper for 160/80/40m and requires a metallic center support (tower)  which is part of the antenna.  This probably wouldn;t work for you unless you can put up a 35 ft. self-supporting metal mast. Guess you might not get that one past YL.

Sound like you are pretty much limited to wire antennas. You can try a vertical, as I stated earlier, and see how well it performs or not.  Guess what I'm saying is you need to experiment.   (Or you can hypnotize YL to believe lots of aluminum up in air is a thing of beauty !  ha-ha !)

jerry  n9avy