Re: Any antenna gurus here?

Robert Johnstone

If you Ground mount a vertical such as I have been using for some time you may increase the take off angle by adding ground radials with the number of radials determining the amount of deflection of the near field take off angle.  My suggestion would be to add more radials in the direction of the 200ft obstacle.  This may help your tx in that compass direction; however your Rx is still affected/effected by the virtual hole.  Depending upon a lot of factors you may get some knife edge bending help, but the inside dead zone of your prop map may be longer than in level or down hill directions.  If you are fortunate enough to have a lot of hams nearby one might be willing to let you install/borrow one of theirs to check the prop'gtn.  I have had good luck looking at the prop on www.pskinfo.com to see where stations are receiving my signal.  It shows many more than I hear/see on my waterfall including DX.  At yesterdays JOTA demo one of the operators Matt had great results with an antenna sold locally called a "Grasshopper with a 2Ft square base plate,Balun and telescoping Vertical. Also 16 radials equally spaced lawn stapled to sandy soil.  On 10watts ssb worked Columbia, German republic, TX, Italy, VA.and Brazil.  On 30 ft dipoles we heard but worked less stations.  Pointing out that some antennas work better at some locations.  Finding the right one for you is part of the FUN. 73
Robert AD0QO 1396

From: "Martin Tuip ajax@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:11 PM
Subject: [070] Any antenna gurus here?

I hope I maybe can pick some brains in this group. At the moment I have a G5RV up in the trees on my property with the ends in about a 30 degree angle from each other due to the fact one end strung from the top of a tree on the bottom of a hill and the other from a tree on the top. Height is probably 60ft. I am really close to a mountain less than a mile away with nearly a vertical 2000ft risen (see my qrz page) and the back of my property has a steep hillside. The YL does not want towers so I am limited there.

I am thinking to get a vertical antenna for a different radiation pattern but I think the low take off angle might not clear the hill and mountain. What are my options here?

Build dedicated vertical arrays on the  hillside?
Regular vertical ground mounted?
String vertical dipole from a tree?
Use a yagi on an angle to clear the mountain?
Anything else?

Martin
KG7HAX