Re: Windows XP Vunerable

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Nah, back to the Commodore 64!!

Dan Morris

On Jul 17, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Les Alverson kd4sfd2@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Nah Jerry, go back to CP/M!!
Les k4lea

On 7/17/2015 11:19, Jerry n9avy@... [070] wrote:

Get lots of emails which tell me my bank account has been overdrawn or a "suspicious withdrawal" has been  made ....  only they're from banks I don't do business with !  This morning I just  won a pile of $$$$$$  from google in England !  Right ? Not.

Guess I'll have to give up DOS 1.1 ! :-(

Jerry  n9avy

From: "David Rock david@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2015 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [070] Windows XP Vunerable

* Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> [2015-07-16 04:40]:
> Working in the security industry for 40+ years, I can honestly say
> "there is no such thing as security"  . Security is a state of mind.
> So, I would tend to believe that in computers the same is true. Used
> to know a ham who worked for major drug company.  He told me they had
> 9 firewalls at the time when someone got past the first 2.   By the
> time he got almost through 3rd, there were a couple "suits" knocking
> at his door. Jerry  N9AVY

That's a good example of what security really means; protection through
mitigation. Anything is hackable. Given enough time and determination,
if somebody wants your stuff, they will get it.

I have no Windows machines in the house, but that doesn't mean I'm any
safer. It just means I have different security concerns. Security is
about making things difficult for the attacker. All you can do is put
up as many barriers as you can manage, and hope that's enough to deter
the general attacks.

Running an ancient OS that is no longer supported means you are lowering
the bar of entry. If you can upgrade, you should. If you don't, that
doesn't mean you will definitely have an issue, it just means you need
to be more careful about how you use it, but you are making things
easier for the Bad Guys.

Remember, the best security is between your ears. Most attacks are via
social engineering, not technical wizardry. Be smart about where you go
and what you open and you will go a long way toward being safer.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...