Re: How about a "newbie" sprint?

John Etling

“Sorry to stir the pot by letting the mind indulge in daydreams. I was thinking more of a membership drive to commemorate the achievement rather than a "CONTEST".

have a good evening

Barry”

SECONDED!!!

I get tired of everything being a “contest.” I purposefully and normally avoid the bands where contesting is going on and rarely participate in them either. Most PODXS070 contests clearly state, for the most part, no more than 50 watts. Ever see a station from, say, MAINE on a band where contacts are a little tough due to conditions then this BIG gun walks in and completely blows the waterfall away. (Using this as a reference only as do not even know any 070 ops in ME so please do not be offended) . Now your gonna convince me he ain’t running full radio power or more? This after seeing sigs from say NY, CT, VT and most of them are coming in about equal strength.

PROVE the ME station is NOT overpowering the rules as it were. Of course lids like that will dominate the band every time leaving me  no choice but to leave, he owns it and knows full well he owns it.

OK enough soapboxing… I have been reading the bantering back and forth and I see a plethora of excellent points.

My final take… allow the “meeting” to begin, welcome all, converse with all. Have a secret handshake amongst members – I know Jerry was joking but why not do something unique and give out 070 numbers backwards? Those with 070 numbers where it makes no difference (ex 313, 323, 333, etc. then so be it). I side more with the “old philosophy” of follow the rules to the letter however I do not necessarily disagree fully with the new ideas either.  Come to a middle ground, follow those rules, and have fun.

Why must a “membership” drive goal attainment meet with awards and all that. Bew proud you did your part in building the club. THAT alone should be award enough.

73 de K3JAE

John

Avast logo