Re: How about a "newbie" sprint?

Jerry N9AVY

I think giving non-members  2 pts  would not encourage them to join. Just the opposite would happen... why join PODXS when you would lose a point by joining ??? It seems counterproductive. Not an incentive to join PODXS.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "boat.anchor@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [070] How about a "newbie" sprint?

Ya know what?
I am still thinking about what Ted said before the last "contest" regarding checking member numbers before submitting the log. (bit like a terrier with a bone)
I would like to suggest the following. Since we know the callsign of our contact and a simple click fills in the name and QTH, and a just-as-simple cross check with the member roster supplies that number, maybe we should try to just make as many contacts as possible to promote the club. No required exchange, just log those contacts and members worth one point, non-members two points because of time required to convince them that they really want to be part of the pre-eminent organization in ham radio digi modes. Someone suggested a month later that the checker apply bonus points to anyone that worked a station that becomes a member.
This would take the onus off us to record all that already known data and put the work onto David as to how to do the bonus scoring.
ps: maybe I should try not to think so much.
time to go enjy the sun and 56F day out there
Barry

---In 070@..., wrote :

agree, Joe, but serial number is irrelevant. It is just another hassle to log, like the member number. I think all events should be 'open' with simple basic exchanges.
73, Ted
K7TRK

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:41 PM, "'ljl2002@...' joe_molon@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Good idea to invite non-members into the contest.  They will see what fun it is and maybe join.

The exchange for non-members could be 599 and a serial number (001,002 etc) in place of a member number.
EPC does that and it seems to work.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482