Re: "2015 in 2015" Special Event

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Might want to give a special higher point value to that one station that has 070# 2015???

Dan Morris   KZ3T   070-1065

On Mar 22, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Jerry n9avy@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

David:

Good points.  Not sure if I like the "retroactive" thing because some folks tend to put things off or get busy with other things.  The limit for them getting in application might be a month or two.

How about making current members worth 2 pts, non-members worth 1 point and any member with a number over 2000 worth 5 points ?  That would make new members worth chasing.

Just a thought.  It needs to be kept simple so as not to get everyone confused.

Jerry  N9AVY  #454

From: "David Westbrook dwestbrook@... [070]" <070@...>
To: 070@...
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [070] Re: "2015 in 2015" Special Event

Could retroactively apply member number ...   e.g. don't require 070# as part of the exchange (so member vs non-member doesn't matter; and makes on-air more "activity" than "contest") ... and collect logs in the contest scorer (or endorsement checker?); and then a month later score it with same logic as LONP checker --  give 2 pts for members at time of QSO;  give 1 pt for non-members;  and  then something (maybe 10pts;  or make these the mults) where the callsign was not a member at time of QSO, but is now a member.

good comments/topic re: DX activity ..

also good discussion on member vs non-member contests ... the member ones can be a lot of fun, but all valid points on the cons. I think (not looking at the list at the moment) that there's a good balance/mix?
I saw a "CQ CQ NO 070 de ___ ___"  during St Pats ...   So i worked him normal QSO  :)

--david
KJ4IZW

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 8:50 AM, 'Ray Clements' r.clements@... [070] <070@...> wrote:

Perhaps the biggest problem with members only contests is that it discourages non-North America countries from participating. I saw only US and Canadian stations. Of the logs submitted, there was one SV station, but no other countries outside NA. I suspect some stations on the coasts did see a few DX stations.

In a members only contest, European and South American stations are at a real disadvantage due to the scarcity of members in their local country. By opening it up to other stations, we might get ops from additional countries to participate.