Re: PSK31 Macros - was TI9/3Z9DX on 20m‏ thread

Ray Clements

There is nothing wrong with long ragchew QSOs, as long as you do not try to do so during a contest or with a station trying to keep up the QSO rate. I have had some QSOs that have lasted 15 minutes or longer, but I do that only when both parties have time to do so.

The following are "ragchew" comments, so skip them if you do not have time.

I do have a station/brag macro, but I rarely send it, even when the other station does so. I will only send it when I think there is information that the other station may want to hear/see. For example, if I run across someone who uses the same radio I do (an ICOM 7600), I might send my station macro.

I only send the WX report when it the weather truly remarkable. Early this morning it was  8 degrees F below zero in the Chicago suburbs (not including the wind chill factor), either exceeding or matching the record low for this date. I might consider sending something like that, but not normally.  Be thinking of all of the 070 club members in the Chicago area and other northern states who are shivering this morning.

I use HRD and that program makes it very easy to establish a variety of macro sets and then quickly switch between them as the need arises. For example, I have a normal RTTY macro that I use when responding to RTTY stations, but sometimes a RTTY station will respond with an exchange that contains added information similar to that in my PSK macro, so I will switch to that set of macros before sending my exchange. Likewise, if working PSK and the calling station sends a brief exchange, I will quickly switch to my RTTY macro before sending my exchange. I also can edit my macros on the fly when they contain information that is probably not of interest to the other party. For example, I send my EPC number to US and EU contacts, but normally delete it when communicating with SA and AF stations.

If the station calling CQ wants to chat and you have time to chat, then feel free to do so, but be sensitive to know when to call it quits.

The key is to LISTEN/WATCH  what the calling station is doing before ever responding. Try to respond in a manner that is appropriate. I know that most of the 070 club members are great operators and know what to do, but we also have some who can improve.

Ray N9RWC
070 # 1793
LONP #291

------ Original Message ------
Received: 09:57 AM CST, 02/19/2015
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Subject: Re: [070] PSK31 Macros - was TI9/3Z9DX on 20m‏ thread

Hi Bill,

Saw you call CQ 4-5 times on 15 mtrs, so decided to give you a
call and say 'Hello'.

Tried to keep it short, and did not use macros except for the
calls and BTU, even then it probably to long.
That's what happens when you turn me loose with a keyboard.

73, Larry WA7HDZ

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 7:10 AM, "Bill Garwood n4gbk@... [070]" <070@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

This thread has drifted a bit so I changed the name.

Some comments here about operating and macros.  Since starting with PSK31 in 2013, my macros and operating procedures have been changing.  I've got 8,000+ PSK31 QSOs in the log.

If I call CQ and the other station comes back to me with hello Bill or William, I know they have either worked me before or they are looking at my info on QRZ or other database.  I do not send them my full who I am, where I am macro.  I'll send something like Hello Fred, UR 599 in NC..HW?.... Again, a large majority of stations world-wide are using some kind of callbook database or website.

When working DX, I do not send my town and state, just send North Carolina as QTH.  They do not come back and ask for my town.  I will send them my town and state if working US or CA stations.

I never send my county in any macros.  I have only had one person ever ask me what county I am located in.

I do not send my call or the other station's call more than one time once we have established contact.

I do not send them what kind of software or logging software I'm using or what kind of computer I'm using.  Again, only one time has someone asked me about what software I'm using.  I've never, ever had someone want to know about my computer.   I will send them my rig and antenna info if and only if the QSO seems to have progressed that far.

No macros used when in a ragchew...I'm typing on the keyboard all the way and making fumble fingered mistakes but having fun.

I keep a legal pad next to the keyboard and make notes and comments about each QSO that help refresh my memory.

As always, your results may vary...just some comments.

Happy Radio!

Bill N4GBK  #1688

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.