To: 070@...
From: 070@...
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:30:04 -0800
Subject: Re: [070] re: remote radio

Unfortunately , a discussion like this can open up a whole can of worms in various circles. The camps are pretty well divided among pro & con.  Think that's why ARRL and other awards groups have not been willing to take a real stand on the subject.  They have various groups to try to please and they try to appeal to the vast majority. I know that 10-10 organization has had their struggles with the subject and I'm sure others have as well. Guess it's hard to try to please everyone without some group or another feeling disenfranchised.

Ray's comments on using several remote stations during the course of a day pretty much sums up what most of us fear.  Some of the newer crowd seem to think they can do whatever they want whenever they want with regard for rules and that's just simply not going to work. We have rules to keep everyone on an even playing field.

There was an operator recently who believed he was okay running an AM signal that was 20 kHz wide when the rules only allow for 6 kHz. , but he thought he could get away with it.  Of course, he interfered with many stations across the band.  This might be like someone deciding it's okay to drive on opposite side of road.

We all have to decide for ourselves where to draw lines in our operating practices. The 070 group seems to have many good operators who take pride in the stations and operating. I believe that why this club appeals to me and many others.

Jerry  N9AVY

From: "w3hf@... [070]" <070@...>
To: <070@...>
Subject: [070] re: remote radio

James -

I also agree completely with what you've said. Part of my concern and perspective on this topic is the treatment of my own portable operations, as I've operated portable from at least seven states within CONUS (not including KH2, KH6, and VQ9). Some of these used an existing club station, one used another ham's personal station, some were all my own equipment brought from home, and some were a hybrid.

What really gets to me is the inconsistent treatment that can be applied, and you highlighted some of those. Let me add that if I can travel to Colorado and count contacts I make there, but I can't remote login to the same Colorado station and count those contacts, then there's an illogical inconsistency, regardless of whether that station is someone else's (either a club or a rental or someone else's personal station) or one I bought and paid for. (FWIW, this is purely hypothetical--the Colorado club station I use does not currently support remote operation.)

---In 070@..., wrote :

It's not nearly so simple.

James NF8I