Re: http://www.remotehamradio.com/

Robert Johnstone

Here where the wind sometimes rotates at high rates in small areas, It sometimes takes out; microwave towers, electrical lines, phone lines, cell towers and every normal means of communicating except Amateur Radio so I would not think it would be useful other than a cheat for contests or some non serious use.  But not everyone thinks of the radio as gaining proficiency for when all else fails.  During Sky Warn Appreciation day they sometimes use echolink and tie into 7 continents and log contacts as fast as they can write, but when the connection to the internet is broken no joy. otherwise shooting fish in a barrel...  Just my .02
Robert kd0fip 1396

From: "Jerry n9avy@... [070]" <070@...>
To: "070@..." <070@...>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [070] http://www.remotehamradio.com/

Peter ...  I use a 3 element yagi (4 elements on 10m) and usually have a big signal (40-50 watts) and occasionally get pile ups from Europe. I can switch back and forth to a ground mounted vertical and most times I see little difference in received signal. Transmit is a different story.

In the end, it's all about what you do with YOUR little station and the propagation you have to work with.   Those who use remote stations are only cheating themselves.

Jerry  N9AVY