Re: Pal Top interfacing?

ve3iay <ve3iay@rac.ca> <ve3iay@...>

Ernie,

I'll start the ball rolling.

I don't think you can connect anything except a USB device to a USB
port. AFAIK, there aren't any RS-232 signals (TxD, RTS, DTR, etc.) on
a USB port. You have to buy a USB-to-serial adaptor, and then you can
use the serial port(s) on this device like any other serial port. I
believe this means you can use DTR and RTS for PTT, CW keying, etc. I
suggest you consult http://www.aa5au.com/usb for more info on these
devices.

One problem: most USB-to-serial adaptors do not support 5-bit Baudot
on TxD, so until recently you could not do FSK through them. Makato
Mori, the author of MMTTY, has just written a DLL for MMTTY 1.63 that
can do FSK from any serial port, including one on a USB serial
adapter. You can find it in the files area of the MMTTY Yahoo group
(comfsk103.zip). It may need a fast CPU and a recent version of
Windows, though.

As for sound cards, I would expect that if the laptop has microphone
and speaker jacks, you can use those with the appropriate level of
attenuation. If not, I believe there is such a thing as a USB sound
card, and there may also be PCMCIA (pc-card) sound card peripherals
for laptops, but I know nothing about these. Maybe someone else can
help with the sound card part of Ernie's question?

73,
Rich VE3IAY

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Mills" <emills@N...> wrote:
Hi all 070 members,
Can you help me? I run, as many of you know, a help web page
for interfacing sound cards to the pc for the digital modes (among
other things) but I have been getting an increasing number of
enquiries about interfacing laptop computers instead of desk tops. I
know nothing about Laptops. The queries I have been getting mostly
refer to the laptop having no DB9/25 ports and only USB ports. Some
appear not to have sound cards other than on board cards etc.
Question: how to connect the interface to a USB port? I will
need drawings and pin numbers, ie. LINE IN and LINE OUT pin numbers
as well as RTS/DTR pin numbers etc. if possible and I will put this
onto my web page hoping to relieve this email situation somewhat.
Credit will be given of course :)

Hope you can help, 73 Ernie