Re: Antenna Tuners

Jerry N9AVY

For the benefit of some of our less technical members, I'd like to say that antenna tuners don't actually tune the antenna.   All the tuner does is to try to match the 50 Ohm impedance of transmitter to what load the coax presents at the transmitter.  There have been some good articles on this subject but I can't recall just where they were.

To be truly effective a tuner would have to be mounted at the antenna feed point and remotely tuned.

So, an antenna tuner is actually fooling the transmitter into thinking it's seeing a 50 ohm impedance and makes the transmitter happy.  It's really a feedline matcher.

Jerry  N9AVY