Re: Going APE?

David Westbrook

I got mine (and hamsticks) from High Sierra:
http://www.hamcq.com/antenna-and-mounts-for-hf-vhf-uhf-scanner-handheld/quick-disconnects-for-whips/cat_137.html

And here's more related stuff from them, including mounts (that "jaws" one,
and fixed ones, hitch ones, etc):
http://www.hamcq.com/antenna-and-mounts-for-hf-vhf-uhf-scanner-handheld/antenna-mounts-with-a-3/8-24-thread-for-hustler-hamstick-and-most-mobile-antennas/cat_22.html

--david
kj4izw

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Bryon <nnegrom@...> wrote:

Thank you for the response. Can you send me a link or image of the quick
disconnects you are talking about?

- -
Bryon

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@...
wrote:
I have some info on my 2011 APE writeup on
http://www.podxs070.com/ape-tall-tales-2011

Nothing special here -- i've used them mounted to the hitch of the car,
so
not high at all! and i also tried it out just putting it on top of a 6
foot wood fence, and then used a 12 ft jumper cable as a counterpoise (at
first, i connected the jumper to the car, but also seemed to work fine as
just a wire).
so next i might try to get it a little higher (10-12ft on the roof of a
shed) ... The portable QTH is a condo, so can only do temporary stuff on
the little back patio ..
I may try to do the ape as mobile instead of portable, too ... will have
wait and see if that works out.

Definitely a compromised antenna, but swr is pretty good, and it gets me
out there! And they're great for the price and simplicity of setting
them
up (screw the whip into the base, and mount it w/a ground) ...
I've considered getting that "claw" mount for them, too -- seems like it
would be handy.

You will probably be better off than me if you're using two of them as a
dipole ...

I also got the quick-disconnects, so while it's still manual to change
bands, it's really fast.

--david
kj4izw

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Bryon <nnegrom@...> wrote:

David,

How do your hamsticks work? I picked up a couple. Also picked up the
dipole
mounting bracket. I really haven't had a chance to use them though. How
high do you get them? Do you do anything special? I would be interested
in
anything you have to share.

Thank you,

- -
Bryon

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@...
wrote:
I definitely plan to again this year! location will be Charleston,
SC
(EM92xu; Charleston County) .. dates TBD. bands limited to 17/20/40
(hamsticks).

--david
KJ4IZW

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Karen Russo <w4krn@...> wrote:

**

Hi all,

Anyone else planning an APE this summer? Please let me know, so we
can
get
you on the list. So far I have WA3WSJ,
W5WF, and KD8LAV. If I missed anyone please resend your info.

Thanks, 73 Karen W4KRN