Re: Proper adjustment of audio levels for transmit

Phil Barnett <philb@...>

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 00:20 +0000, David wrote:

--- In 070@..., "David" <aj4tf@...> wrote:

I'm sure this will start a war, but I don't think this is the right way to do it. I guess everyone has their opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CwHaX7t5M
What I meant was, I believe the method described in the video above is correct, and the method described below is not.
Respectfully disagree. If he has a IMD of -36, he's going to have a
beautiful signal and there will be no ALC. ALC kicks in when the audio
circuit wants to drive the unit above where the power level is set.
Since his power level is at 100 watts and his audio signal is driving to
20 watts there is no ALC because that threshold has never been met.

Setting your power to 100% and then setting your computer output (in
this case a Signalink USB) to a lower power is a perfectly acceptable to
eliminate ALC and have a clean signal.

Join {main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.