From: Jim Rogers <w4atk@bellsouth.net>
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:27 PM
Subject: [070] Proper adjustment of audio levels for transmit

I am increasingly running across stations that are over-driving their transmitters. When I can copy a signal at 3 points in the filter passband, that is a problem. And the distortion on an over-driven signal often makes the signal difficult to copy or un-copiable.

1) When transmitting using USB (Upper Sideband) and audio input via the mic jack, adjust the audio drive to a point just below the ALC kicking in. And remember your PSK-31 audio is going through the same speech processor settings as you mic audio, so turn off speech processing and/or compression.

2) If you have a DATA mode, i.e. the Elecraft K3, using the LINE IN connection, set the audio level (MIC) to 4 bars of ALC. Then adjust PWR to the appropriate power output level. LINE IN in most rigs by-passes any speech processing and/or compression.

3) Do not be offended if someone gives you a bad report, check your audio drive. An over-driven signal is bad for everyone, and indicates a lack of skill on the part of the operator.

73s Jim, W4ATK