Re: Tips on how to work DX from a DX station

Scotty W7PSK

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Jim Innis <jinnis@...> wrote:

Wish I had said that!

I spent a year on Diego Garcia, operating as WB6EWH/VQ9, and have been on the
other end of DX pileups. Occasionally I would get so frustrated that I would
just walk away from the rig.

One time, because the roar of callsigns coming out of the speaker (I could not
determine a single callsign), I got up, went and got a cup of coffee, came back
to the rig, and the roar was still going. Repeated requests on how to speed up
the contact rate were ignored. There were some hams in the U.S. that I just
would not work because of their rude, aggressive behavior.

What was neat for me was an afternoon get-together of stations in Pago-Pago,
Diego Garcia, Guam, Northwest Cape, and occasionally some other rare dx for a
rag chew net among us.

Please be courteous, listen to the dx station, and follow HIS rules. Unless you
have been on the other end, you have no concept of how difficult it is to work
pileups when no one listens to your requests.

Just my .02

Jim, K5SP

Wow Jim, Talk about bringing back memories. Former VQ9RS (Aug-Dec 1980) I had the same issues. I used to rag Chew with a ZS, A9 and A6 back in the day. It was amazing how many Rude ops would break the pile when we just wanted to chat.

Did they have the BAD List still there? We used to keep a list of Dont ever QSL at the 2 operating stations. We compared the log to that list (Time consuming if you ran a pile) but before I sent the logs to my manager Id check the list. I also Noted bad OPS in my log and Lyle (N6BLN) my manager would send the card back with a note that stated due to your poor operating practices you would not be getting a card and that you had made the VQ9 Do not QSL list. Amazing the long appolgy letters we got.

Anyway, I would always start my piles with a Rule list of what I expected. If those rules were not followed I would leave. It was amazing after a couple days of that how the Word got around the DX nets of the 80s that when I was on you best follow the rules or I would quit.

Yea I was a jerk, but my Work Rates were 10-15 a minute :).

Scotty W7PSK