From: Patrick Weatherford <patricknw@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [070] Tips on how to work DX from a DX station
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, April 23, 2012, 8:49 AM

Steve,

I was amused to read this first thing this morning. You could also call
this the "Tips on how to work stations in a contest" as the same thing
happens there.

I distinctly remember working a contest a while back and I gave the
other guy a quick "599 AR" report.... I had a big pileup going. He
responds with a macro that lasted a solid EIGHT MINUTES about his
keyboard being "horizontally polarized" and about having a 19 inch LCD
monitor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a TB hard drive with 20% of the space used.
Very frustrating.

The best part is point #1.... I see stations give MY call sign three,
four, even five times, and theirs only once. I often respond with "yes,
I know my own callsign."

Have fun out there in KH2. It's on my bucket list!

Patrick
AE5PW

On 4/23/2012 7:42 AM, melachri wrote:

After a week of being semi-rare DX, I offer the following suggestions,
with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

1. When you are responding to my CQ, repeat MY callsign at least 2 or
3 times, so I know you're responding to me.

2. If I respond to someone else, go ahead and call me again, because I
probably didn't hear you correctly and surely I MEANT to call YOU.

3. Feel free to give me your name, QTH and signal report when you
first call me, instead of waiting to see if I respond to you. After
all, it might save YOU a few seconds; it doesn't matter if you waste
my time or QRM other stations.

4. When I give you a quick signal report only, make sure you use your
regular "response" macro that welcomes me to your screen, tells me all
your QTH details (like your county), your equipment information (OS
version, how much RAM in your computer, what microphone and headset
you use), and your license history. After all, I probably want to know
all that even if I just want a short QSO.

5. Ignore me if I ask you to work split. That's really so everyone
ELSE will get out of YOUR way.

6. You can also ignore me if I ask you to repeat just your callsign.
Just use your 3x3 macro.

7. When the QSO is over, please use your usual macro that not only
thanks me but hopes to see me again, wishes me good luck and good DX,
and sends greetings to my family, my cats, my neighbors and the
mailman. After all, courtesy is important.

8. Don't forget to tell me YOUR QSL policy, because I will surely want
YOUR card.

9. Once I say 73 to you and move on to another CQ or QRZ?, make sure
you send your own 73, bye bye, and greetings to me. I really want to
hear that, not the next guy calling me.

Seriously, all these things happened to me at least once this week.
And it's frustrating as can be when my objective is to put as many
callsigns in my log as I can. So here's the real list:

1. Don't use your regular ragchewing macros to work a DXpedition.
What, you don't have any others? Either make some, or skip the macros
completely.

2. Emphasize using your own call, not the DX station's. He already
knows his call; he needs to hear yours.

3. Don't give him more info than he gives you. If he wants a quickie
QSO, oblige him. If you don't like quickie QSOs, then skip it
completely instead of forcing your protocols on him. Or wait until you
find a DX station that WANTS to ragchew.

4. Once he moves on, don't transmit any more UNLESS he logged you
incorrectly.

5. Follow his instructions. Exactly, to the best of your ability.
Because he'll expect you to if you want to get in his log.

Steve
W3HF/KH2 (for 6 more days)