Re: Antennas

W7RIV

I'm very new to amateur radio. Got my ticket last October. I had a borrowed
vertical (Cushcraft R8), had to return it. So I picked up a DK9SQ Vetical
Loop. Very good portable unit. I'm not sure how well it works on DX, I
haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but the few times I have, I
haven't gotten excellent results. Though with these solar flares, I don't
know if it is my setup or something else. The problem with this loop is
that it is a portable unit. So I have to set it up every time I want to get
on the air, which can be a real pain. I cannot leave it up do to it moving
around in the wind and possible breakage.

I would love to have a tower with some mighty antennas on it. I do live in
a single family house. We are looking at moving in 2012 as well, so I do
not want to go the tower route quite yet. I had considered something like a
Hex-Beam, but I was wondering if there was anything else that might work
well. I've heard that dipoles with their take off angle really need to be
off the ground some ways. I'm really not going to get much more than 20' or
so off the ground at this point.

I must admit my question was sorta 2-sided since I asked what people were
using and then also for something that would be inconspicuous. If it is a
80' tower, I'll assume...they are stating what they have had or have and
not what a good easy solution would be. =)

I would say the biggest pain for me since becoming an amateur radio is
working through the issue of a sufficient antenna. I know that you could
work the world with a coat hanger, but then again your talking right
conditions, right time, perfect everything...however, I'm looking for some
DX a little more frequent then in the absolute perfect conditions.

- -
Bryon

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Ted Krempa <trkrempa@yahoo.com> wrote:

**

pretty sure he meant 'inconspicuous', as in, don't PO the neighbors...a
50' tower does not sound like what he is looking for..

p.s. Bryon, maybe be more specific as to your QTH limitations...condo?
single family home ? CCR's, etc

GL, Ted, K7TRK

From: Bryon <nnegrom@gmail.com>
Subject: [070] Antennas
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, March 12, 2012, 11:24 PM

I'm curious what you guys/gals are using for antennas. I'm looking for a
conspicuous solution that doesn't require any major structure and yet can
still get DX. I'm in Utah, have no trees, and live on a .25 acre lot.

- -
Bryon