Re: K and KN

Jerry N9AVY

KKK  means they're clan members ????

--- On Sun, 12/18/11, Ruben Echevarria <ka2hhb_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [070] K and KN
To: "070@yahoogroups.com" <070@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 1:41 PM

If I see a K or a KN then I know it's being turned over 'back to me" .
But there are some that do KKK which to me is wrong and I even had QSO's where
the other party sends SK, obviously wrong. I use KN during a QSO and then an SK 
at the end of a QSO. Being somewhat of an old timer I believe these are proper.. BTU   

Ruben Echevarria KA2HHB
070 Club#861 LONP#141
30MDG#1148 10-10#33308

Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:16 PM
Subject: RE: [070] K and KN

<quote>
Everyone's different, and far be it for me to tell others how to operate. BUT, WHY do some stations sign K K K? or KN KN KN? or SK SK SK? Ya know what? It's poor operating practice.
</quote>

That's an interesting point, Milt. Repeats can be an odd thing.

When I turn it over to another station during a PSK QSO, I often sign KN KN, especially during the "early" overs before we've gotten signal reports exchange (although signal reports seem to always be the inevitable 599, but I digress). When I complete a QSO I most often sign SK SK.

MY thinking was that this is an attempt to ensure the other station gets the message. There's little worse than two PSK stations who are "out of sync" due to QRM/QSB... both listening or both trying to transmit. Thus my repeat KN when turning it over on PSK.

I think that CW QSOs are different in that operating CW most folks operate QSK, so you can HEAR the other guy... between words if not between characters. In PSK, that's not the case.

I'd love to hear additional feedback on this practice from the experienced operators among us: OK to repeat prosigns such as K, KN, SK during PSK QSOs? Or Not Best Practice to repeat these prosigns?

As an aside, wouldn't it be nice for those of us in the 070 club to put together a collection of "Great PSK Operating Practices"? I see sooo much "unusual" operating on the bands... but perhaps that's a topic for another time.

Peter
K1PGV

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Check out the 070 Club website at <http://www.podxs070.com/> for the latest information on 070 Club activities.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.