Re: I can't believe I saw it - again !

ve3oij <ve3oij@...>

Personally, I let the DB lookup fill in the name. I figure that if people are genuinely concerned that other people will get the wrong name from a database, then it's up to the individual to ensure their name is correct in the database, not blame database users for using themselves of the information available.

If I see a person's name is different than the DB entry, I'll go up and change it most of the time, but if condx are marginal, I might not see it.

I really don't care what people put in the name field for me, it's the callsign that's the relevant bit. I've seen people try the Fubar trick, and I *always* let it go and don't say a thing.

Obviously this matter is very dear to some of you, which forces me to ask: why are your names not correct in the database. Rather than berating other amateurs, your energy would seem to be better spent correcting the database.

If your driver's licence had the wrong name, you'd change it, yes?

Just a thought.

73 de VE3OIJ
-Darin

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <n9avy@...> wrote:

While I'm on a rant.... worked two Italian stations in a row yesterday and gave my name as "Jerry" ... both came back with "Jerald" from database. Makes you kinda wonder if these were automated QSOs, huh ? Maybe I'll repeat their names back in a different form like "Fubar" and see if I get a rise out of them ! :-)

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...> wrote:

I know many ops just don't care but I am with
you, My given name is Robert, been called Bob my whole life. When the
come back with Robert I know it is an op on autopilot.

73,
Bob N3PPH 853