Re: Just what we NEED a Contest

Peter Baskind <pbaskind@...>

Well what you think??
I like the idea a lot. Ultimately, it's all fun. But I think that the band choices could be tweaked just a bit.

I notice the schedule has:

May 10 meters Start 0300z Thursday night
June 6 meters everyone starts at 0000z Monday night
July 10 meters everyone starts at 0100z Tuesday night

Let me say I am THRILLED that 10m and 6m are listed. But we have them lumped together ONLY in the E-skip season. Absolutely, 6m should be in June (the most active E-skip month), but perhaps one of the 10m contests should be moved to Fall, when the band is alive with paths across the Atlantic and Pacific.

Further, during the E-skip season, the start times are a bit late. E-skip openings generally (I say "generally" because sporadic E is called "sporadic" for a reason) peak late morning LOCAL time, take a break during midday, and come back around 6pm LOCAL time. They drop out around 10pm, but occasionally go to midnight.

Of course, therein lies the problem with an E-dependent contest -- one never knows if the band will open. In the most recent 6m contest (the weekend of July 20th), some reported no propagation at all. I saw some, but only for a couple of hours to one specific geographical region (a few 1s, 2s, 3s, and northern 4s). But, I don't think there is anything one can do about that -- there's an element of chance in contests. That's all part of the fun.

Perhaps it's an oversimplification to cast the same light on 10 and 6m. But, the two bands propagate very similarly -- especially in the Summer. If 10m opens for E-skip, 6m is almost always going to open (at least for a moment or two).

Just a thought from a guy who loves 10m and 6.

But, as to the concept of quick hit-and-run contests? Great idea.

Peter, AG4KI
Memphis