From: AA8QQJMauch@aol.com
To: 070@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 11:57 AM
Subject: [070] Portable ops: demis, loops, tips & tricks

Hi All,

(Steve, I was looking for you in FL, too. )

I think this is what the APE was designed for, discussing portable operation.

I tried my old reliable field built vert, but it only scored me the 30 m QSO.
All the rest were on a 20 m demi-quad. I've used demi-quads a lot in the
past, running QRP and working VK's, JA's, & KH6's with them answering my
CQ's.

For the uninitiated, a demi-quad is just a single band, full wave vert loop,
usually mounted vertically, a' la a Quad. When I build a demi in the field,
the only two things I worry about is the length, and making sure one side is
semi flat, usually the side I feed. If I can get a full quarter wave side
flat, great! If not, no sweat. At times I have corner feed them. I've had
this configuration work with as little as an eight wave flat side across the
top, suspended by PVC pipe, and every thing else just drooped as it may. It
seems that as long as it's relatively clear of ground (or grounded
structures), it works. I make the feed point spreader from PVC pipe. PVC is
excellent at HF, easy to cut with a Leatherman type saw or portable hacksaw,
and it's cheap, too. I connect the loop wires to the end of the coax with
alligator clips, and no matching network. It's not necessary. Get the
length right and it'll match up very close. These loops just love to work.

This time out, I didn't get a single answer to my CQ's, even running 65 watts
on PSK! I had to call the stations that I did work several times to get a
QSO and I only got to finish three of them. The other two busted before
completion, none resulting in rag chews. All this makes me pretty sure Steve
did something to upset the prop gods of the Outer Banks. Thanks Steve, hi.

As with every trip I go on with ham radio, I learned a few lessons. Isn't
that what portable operation is all about? Here are a few things I'll be
trying in the future.

1). Pre-cut all my loops and wind them on the spools that the wire came on.
Bend and mark the half way point on the loop and start winding from there.
Should be ready to use the following time. Maybe even attach the plastic
spool at the center point so it doesn't get lost next time. (I dropped one
of them off the top balcony this trip.)

2). I have always made my loops from Radio Shack solid hookup wire. Next
time out I'm going use stranded. It should make it easier to rewind onto the
spools.

3). If I make the feed point spacer from a piece of small diameter PVC pipe,
it should stow away into the hole in the center of the hook up wire spool.
Good for storage and no tangles next time out.

Does anyone else use loops or have any hints, kinks, or tips? I'd like to
hear them.

73,
Jay - AA8QQ

THE FOLLOWING APE STATIONS ARE SCHEDULED TO BE ON THE AIR:
-- KF4FHS/KD7ORS, 2-4 AUGUST, VASHON IS, WA (USI WA060S), 30-10M
CONTACT INFO: KF4FHS CBA OR KF4FHS@YWAVE.COM.
-- W3HF/QRP, 10-17 AUGUST, BOGUE BANKS IS, NC (IOTA NA-112), 20-10M
CONTACT INFO: W3HF CBA OR W3HF@ARRL.NET.
-- NN6DG, 16-18 AUGUST, ANACAPA IS, CA (CHANNEL ISLANDS GROUP, IOTA NA-144, USI CA-002S, WLH LH-1300, VENTURA COUNTY), 20-10M
CONTACT INFO: NN6DG CBA OR NN6DG@WUMPUS.NET.
-- W3HF, 19-21 AUGUST, LADY LAKE, FL (LAKE COUNTY, GRID EL98)
CONTACT INFO: W3HF CBA OR W3HF@ARRL.NET.
-- AA8QQ, 17-23 AUGUST, OUTER BANKS, NC;
CONTACT INFO: AA8QQ CBA OR AA8QQ JMAUCH@AOL.COM.
-- K8IJ, 23-25 AUGUST, ESTERO IS, FL (NA-069, USI FL035S, LEE COUNTY), 20M; CONTACT INFO: K8IJ CBA OR CCTRICE@BELLSOUTH.NET.
-- N3MK, 23-31 AUGUST, BWCA (BOUNDARY WATERS CANOE AREA IN N. MINNESOTA), 20M, OTHER BANDS POSSIBLE; FOR MORE INFO SEE WWW.N3MK.COM;
CONTACT INFO: N3MK CBA OR DSNIDER@RHRS.COM.

Check out the 070 Club website at
&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt; http://hometown.aol.com/n3dqu/podxs070.htm &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt; for