From: "Peter Baskind" <pbaskind@midsouth.rr.com>
To: <070@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 7:24 AM
Subject: RE: [070] Re: Your thoughts [on grid squares]

How many of you would be interested in a certificate program
requiring PSK31 QSOs and collecting Grid Square Locators?
I am not sure how good an idea this might be...

As I have mentioned before, I am a 6m enthusiast. Of course, Grid Squares
are a big focus of operation on that band (100 confirmed gets you ARRL
VUCC,
etc.).

When 6m is in Season -- as it is now with Summer E-skip -- keeping up with
the paperwork for grid squares can get time consuming. Fortunately, since
my main focus is 6m when it's open and it's open only rarely outside the
Summer months, that's OK. 6m will be shutting down for the season in the
next few weeks, and I can spend more time on HF.

But, if I were chasing grids on any form of HF, the paperwork would simply
be too much. It's hard enough keeping track of whether or not I need
DM-42
on one band; I really don't want to have to look for it elsewhere.

And let's not forget the expense -- I don't mind dropping a few green
stamps
for rare DX grids on 6m. After all, one doesn't work Europe on 6m
everyday.
But on HF? That's different entirely. That small wad of singles I keep
in
my desk drawer for foreign QSLing wouldn't last long chasing

And, if there were a contest featuring the same data, would
you participate?
I might play at it, but that's about it. Of course, I am still holding
out
for a 10m or 6m QSO party...

Peter, AG4KI

Peter Baskind, J.D., LL.M.
Germantown, TN
Voice: (901) 624-5295
Fax: (901) 624-6060
pbaskind@midsouth.rr.com

THE FOLLOWING APE STATIONS ARE SCHEDULED TO BE ON THE AIR:
-- KF4FHS/KD7ORS, 2-4 AUGUST, VASHON IS, WA (USI WA060S), 30-10M
CONTACT INFO: KF4FHS CBA OR KF4FHS@YWAVE.COM.
-- W3HF/QRP, 10-17 AUGUST, BOGUE BANKS IS, NC (IOTA NA-112), 20-10M
CONTACT INFO: W3HF CBA OR W3HF@ARRL.NET.
-- NN6DG, 16-18 AUGUST, ANACAPA IS, CA (CHANNEL ISLANDS GROUP, IOTA
NA-144, USI CA-002S, WLH LH-1300, VENTURA COUNTY), 20-10M
CONTACT INFO: NN6DG CBA OR NN6DG@WUMPUS.NET.
-- W3HF, 19-21 AUGUST, LADY LAKE, FL (LAKE COUNTY, GRID EL98)
CONTACT INFO: W3HF CBA OR W3HF@ARRL.NET.
-- AA8QQ, 17-23 AUGUST, OUTER BANKS, NC;
CONTACT INFO: AA8QQ CBA OR AA8QQ JMAUCH@AOL.COM.
-- K8IJ, 23-25 AUGUST, ESTERO IS, FL (NA-069, USI FL035S, LEE COUNTY),
20M; CONTACT INFO: K8IJ CBA OR CCTRICE@BELLSOUTH.NET.
-- N3MK, 23-31 AUGUST, BWCA (BOUNDARY WATERS CANOE AREA IN N. MINNESOTA),
20M, OTHER BANDS POSSIBLE; FOR MORE INFO SEE WWW.N3MK.COM;
CONTACT INFO: N3MK CBA OR DSNIDER@RHRS.COM.

Check out the 070 Club website at
&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt; http://hometown.aol.com/n3dqu/podxs070.htm
&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt; for