APE Update

Steve W3HF

The final preparations are being made for our two APEs, starting
this weekend. The computer and radio are checked out, and I've
even finished constructing and testing a new vertical antenna.

The antenna is the one that was in the July QST. It's a little flimsy,
so I'll probably have to guy it to withstand the oceanfront breezes.
But I managed to get it tuned up on most of the appropriate bands.

I found reasonable matches on 40, 30, 20, 17, and 15 meters. 12
and 10 were a little squirrely, so I may not be able to operate much
on those bands. But I was able to work two stations in Florida this
afternoon on 20, with the antenna set up on our back deck and the
FT-817 in the family room, with 559 and 579 reports. Both of those
stations were using G5RV antennas. So if I can work THEM from
HERE, then I should be able to work a lot of YOU from the APE
QTHs.

As I had previously said, I will not have regular internet access from
either location. So if anyone wants to set up a particular sked,
please let me know by this Friday, 9 August. This is especially
true for anyone who will be relatively local, who would like to try 40
or 30.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me.