Re: 6m... that was fun.

Peter Baskind <pbaskind@...>

Okay, what kind of power and antennas were you guys running? I
have six meters on the radio, but only five watts. And unless I can
get one of the HF wire dipoles to tune on 6m, the only antenna I
have is an extended rubber duck.

Steve-

I am an attic boy, like I understand you are. I have been able, though, to
squeeze a 3-element Cushcraft 6m beam up above the joists in the attic. I
rotate it on a $30 Radio Shack rotator. I generally run 100 watts, but
often work at 5, depending on the opening, whether I am too lazy to move the
antenna connection between the 817 and the 756, and how the mood strikes me.
:)

But, of course, on 6m one doesn't need very much for sporadic E -- signals
get quite big. I have worked many guys running dipoles and QRP on phone.
In your case, perhaps a squalo might be a good option. M2 makes a nice one.
With signals running as loud as they were tonight, even at 5 watts, I would
be shocked if you couldn't have knocked out a dozen or more Qs.

6m... a really fun band. It's my favorite. But, it can be frustrating.

Peter
AG4KI