Re: Hamstick

w1sql@...

Chas,
I use them on my truck, a Chevy suburban, and they work great. I
drilled and mounted a quick disconnect stud in to a place that goes into my
trailer hitch receiver. This works pretty good but much of the antenna is
blocked by the truck. I also have a 90 pound mag mount that I use, on the
truck, when stationary. On my boat, I have used them in a dipole mount and
that seems to work OK too, though it suffers from a lack of height as any
dipole would at 16 feet. I need to add a better ground plane in the boat,
this winter, so that I can use a single vertical. Also, keep in mind that
you can find a number of knock off versions. I have one hamstick and many
from http://www.transeltech.com/. The hamstick, that I have, requires that
you break it down by removing the whip element with an allen wrench. The
transel's use a regular open end wrench but require an allen wrench to tune
the whip. I tend to lose the tiny allen wrench but always have a ready
supply of open face wrenches when I need them and once tuned you have little
use for the allen wrench. In a nut shell it is an inexpensive way to get
simple antenna for portable or mobile work. I even made a couple of two
element beams with them. One was for 40 meters but I never got beyond
receive testing with it. Believe it or not it did show some directivity at
only 15 feet above the ground.

If you have specific questions about them, drop me an email either on the
group or direct.

GL,
Joe